Monday, February 2, 2009

Biggest Mistakes in a job interview

After reading the article on the biggest mistakes made in a job interview, I was somewhat suprised. I was not thinking these were the mistakes! The first mistake, "don't ask stupid questions," was interesting and I feel like it is a somewhat easy task to pass. If you come prepared to the interview random questions will (hopefully) not slip out! The second mistake, "don't treat the secretary poorly," is one that you could overlook and maybe even forget. It seems like it could be so easy to be in a rush or be nervous and forget how you are treating people before the interview. One might be taking out nervous frustrations on innocent, yet important people. We can all just slow down and breathe easy and this mistake is gone! The third and fourth mistake can be overlooked because of nervousness as well. Just being nervous can cause a delay in answering questions or even forgetting questions that you wanted to ask. The fifth mistake is easy to overcome if one is really interested in the job. The other mistakes can be easy to overcome if one prepares for the interview with maybe a little practice with some friends before hand.

I have had many job interviews and luckily they all went pretty well! I was always prepared for my interviews and did not encounter any of the mistakes from the article. I have never had a formal interview; however, I am hoping that I get one with Under Armour for an internship this summer. The other interviews I have had have been informal and pretty relaxed. The interviewers asked me questions about myself and my abilities.

To be well prepared for an interview, one can practice with friends well in advance before the interview, write down possible questions and answer them truthfully, research on the company, and read articles, such as this one. Doing these will help anyone be more comfortable in an interview situation and even better get the job!

No comments:

Post a Comment